Taking an International Road Trip? What to Know About Car Insurance Abroad

Whether your road trip involves taking a convertible to the sandy beaches on Mexico’s Pacific coast or driving an RV over the highways that wind through Canada’s picturesque forests, you’ll want to make sure you have adequate auto insurance for travel. After all, you don’t want a minor accident to turn into a costly expense simply because you’re outside of the United States. 

Car Insurance for Traveling to Mexico  

Even though your Farm Bureau auto insurance policy extends coverage while you are driving your insured automobile in Mexico, it’s advisable to purchase additional insurance. That’s because Mexican officials may not recognize your U.S. auto insurance. So, they might detain you and your traveling partners while the questions about your insurance get sorted out.

The international car insurance you need is called Mexican Tourist Car or Auto Insurance, and you can buy it from sellers near major border crossings or online to cover the length of your trip. It covers property damage and injuries if you’re involved in an accident. Be sure to have your U.S. insurance policy number with you. If you rent a car in Mexico, you can add insurance at the rental counter. If you rent a car in the U.S. and plan to take it to Mexico, be sure the rental company allows you to cross the border with it and.

Car Insurance for Traveling to Canada

Your Farm Bureau auto insurance policy also extends coverage while you are operating your insured automobile in Canada. However, you need to carry a Canada Non-Resident Inter-Province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card. You can ask your Farm Bureau agent to order this card for you. Once you get it and fill it out, you need to keep it in the vehicle throughout your trip to Canada.

Your liability coverage covers the costs of medical expenses and property damage. The minimum amount of liability coverage you need in Canada might be higher than what’s required for your U.S. policy. Talk to your Farm Bureau agent to see what the requirements are in the provinces you’ll be visiting. If you need to, you can increase your coverage temporarily. 

Here’s What Else You’ll Need for Your International Road Trip

In the hectic time when you’re packing and preparing for your vacation, it’s easy to overlook something essential. Remember to bring your vehicle registration. You need drivers’ licenses for yourself and anyone else who might drive internationally. Plus, everyone on your trip needs a passport book or passport card. 

Find a Farm Bureau Agent Near You

A Farm Bureau agent can help ensure you have the insurance coverage you need, wherever your travels take you. Reach out today to connect with an expert.