Owning a home is often considered one of life’s greatest achievements. And for first-time home buyers, it can be just as exciting as it is overwhelming. It’s a chance to provide security for your family and create memories that will last a lifetime. It’s also a big decision that will affect you for years to come.
There’s a lot to consider before you buy your first home. Here, we’ve rounded up all the tips you need for buying a house.
Tips for the First-Time Home Buyer
1. Know what questions to ask before you start house-hunting. The decision to buy a house is a big one, so make sure to gather all the right information beforehand.
2. Determine how much you can afford. Hidden costs and fees can push a seemingly affordable house beyond what you are ready to spend.
3. Check your credit. Your credit score will affect your mortgage.
4. Get pre-approved for a loan. Pre-approved home buyers will enjoy advantages in the home buying process.
5. Choose a real estate agent. The right real estate agent is the key to the right house at the right price.
6. Select a lender. You will want to select a reputable lender that gives you a fair, reasonable offer.
7. Stick to your budget. You don’t want to live with an overly pinched budget later, so be sure to keep with know what you can afford now.
8. Get a home inspection. An inspection can reveal structural or other problems that may turn your perceived dream home into a nightmare.
9. Purchase homeowners insurance. Protect your latest investment when the unexpected strikes.
10. Prepare to move. Transfer your belongings and enjoy your new home!
Your home is where life happens. It’s a place of comfort, security and memories. Talk to a Farm Bureau agent today about how homeowners insurance can help protect the things that matter most.