Attention client/members affected by severe weather:
If you have storm damage to report and need assistance, our Claims Team will help make it safe and easy.

Do You Need Insurance Coverage for These Summer Activities?

School is out and the weather is nice! The sun is shining and it’s time to go outside. While you’re enjoying summer activities like boating, swimming and biking you may not be thinking about insurance. Here’s what you need to know about finding the right coverage this summer.

Insurance Coverage for Boating

Currently only Utah and Arkansas legally require some type of boat insurance coverage. Some other states may require insurance for boats used in some state parks or kept in state-operated marinas. To see if you need boat insurance, check with your state marine board or alternative governing agency.

Even if not legally required, your bank or marina may place insurance requirements on your boat. Even if you aren’t required it may be a good idea to look into having some insurance in place to protect you and your boat.

Liability insurance is the minimum standard required by most states, banks or marinas. This coverage will protect you financially and legally if you are to cause any damage or injury. Other types of coverage you may want to look into would cover collision, comprehensive, uninsured/underinsured motorist, hull coverage or fuel spill.

Insurance Coverage for Your Backyard Pool

If you are planning  on swimming in your own backyard pool, you may want to check with your agent to make sure that your pool is covered. Different insurance companies handle pools differently. Some companies may only have enough insurance coverage for a certain percentage or you may need to add it onto your policy.

Your insurance company will most likely ask to know what summer safety precautions you have in place. Things like a fence around the pool, a safety cover and other safety equipment will help them feel more comfortable with the risk. Your agent may also recommend an umbrella policy. Umbrella policies provide an extra layer of liability protection. It can cover over your other policies as well. 

If you are looking to teach swimming lessons at your home, you’ll also want to discuss this with your agent. Some companies may not be comfortable with it. They could also require you to have a separate policy that protects you while you’re working.

Personal Property Coverage for Your Bike

While enjoying a nice bike ride away from home, did you know that it may be covered by your homeowners insurance? Reach out to your agent to see how your current insurance coverage handles bikes. It may be covered under your personal property, but each company can be different. You will also want to ask your agent what your bike is covered for. There is a chance it is not covered as broadly as other personal property. You may also be able to schedule a bike on your policy to offer more coverage.

There are also companies that offer bike-specific insurance that you could explore for an additional monthly expense.

Whether you’re boating, swimming or biking this summer, reach out to your Farm Bureau agent to make sure you are covered!