If the unexpected happens, your insurance will be there to help you pick up the pieces—right? Many people assume that their basic homeowners insurance policy will pay for any type of damage that happens to their home and the property inside it. Before you assume you have the all coverage you need, get to know the details of your specific policy to ensure your property is covered the right way at the right time.

For example, approximately 80 percent of people know that flooding is not covered by regular homeowners insurance, but did you know that the inventory from ​the business you run at home may also not be covered? Read on for more common risks that may require added coverage on your policy…


Aside from mold being an eye sore and a health risk, many standard homeowners insurance policies either limit coverage for mold damage or downright exclude it. If you’re concerned about the mold risk in your home, talk to your Farm Bureau agent about extra coverage for fungi (which includes mold) that is provided in your policy.

Of course, your best defense against the bacteria is to prevent it from growing in the first place. If your basement floods, a pipe leaks, or miscellaneous spills occur, eliminate the moisture immediately.

Sewer backup

A sewer backup can occur for a variety of reasons. From new homes being connected to outdated lines, to pipelines that handle both storm water and raw sewage becoming overwhelmed in a storm, to blockages as a result of interjected tree roots, a sewer backup can happen to anyone.

Although we can’t help you avoid the damage, we can help you minimize the expense associated with the damage. To protect your floors, walls, furniture, electrical systems, and more, consider adding sewer backup coverage to your homeowners policy.  

Installing a sewer backflow valve can also help you stay ahead of this stinky mess!

Business Out of Your Home

Whether you have a side business as a traveling beauty consultant or you work as a website programmer from the garage, if you run a business out of your home, chances are that your standard homeowners policy will not cover a claim if your inventory were to ever catch fire or a customer slipped and fell on the icy front stoop of your garage.

Protect your home-based business by talking to your Farm Bureau agent about additional coverage and/or endorsements to your policy.

Detached Property

Surrounding buildings on your property such as sheds, treehouses, outbuildings etc. can be subject to a limit on your basic policy. If you have recently built an additional structure on your property, contact your agent to determine if additional coverage should be applied. Learn more here.

Termite infestation

There’s a reason the termite has the reputation it does. Colonies from a few hundred to several million can devastate the structural integrity of your home. Sagging floors, walls, and ceilings are another results of termite damage. These pests cause billions of dollars in damage per year and their ability to go undetected for years is an unsettling thought.

A ready source of food and entry for termites can be found in wood, paper, or dead plant material that is in contact with soil near the house. A water source is found in accumulated foundational moisture and poorly ventilated crawl spaces. Because termite damage is rarely covered under homeowners policies, arrange to have a licensed pest control company inspect and treat your home on a regular basis. After all, no one wants to sleep with bugs in the walls!

Jewelry, fine art, rare collections

Special personal property insurance (also called Inland Marine Coverage) is a way to protect your most valuable items—things like jewelry, fine art, and other collections. Although you may have coverage for these belongings with your standard policy, limitations may apply, especially to the high-value items. This special coverage can increase the standard limits of your current policy to insure the full appraised value of your property. Learn more about protecting your valuables here.

Peace of mind is worth the extra pennies when it comes to protecting your largest investments. Schedule a SuperCheck with your Farm Bureau agent today to talk through any gaps that may exist in your current homeowner’s insurance coverage.