If you have a vehicle — pickup truck, van, farm truck tractor, farm truck (weighing one ton or more) and trailer — that you primarily use for farming or ranching, you may be wondering what type of auto insurance you may need. Here’s what you need to know:

Because accidents happen, you’ll want to be sure your farm/ranch vehicle is adequately covered to protect you, your farm/ranch and the people who count on you. Like other vehicles you see on the road, if the vehicle you use for farming/ranching enters a roadway, it needs to have adequate auto insurance coverage.

There are different types of coverage available, whether you use your farm/ranch vehicle to travel from property to property, farm/ranch to home, home to town and vice versa. Your Farm Bureau insurance agent can discuss how your vehicle is used with you to determine which coverage fits your needs.

Types of Coverage:

Bodily Injury Liability: Hopefully, your farm/ranch vehicle is never involved in an accident where someone is injured or killed, but accidents can’t be predicted so having this coverage can protect you and your operation.

Property Damage Liability: With Property Damage Liability coverage, you’ll have peace of mind knowing if your farm/ranch vehicle causes damage to someone else’s property for which you are liable, you will be protected.  

Medical or No-Fault Coverage: Because this type of coverage varies by state — contact your Farm Bureau insurance agent for more information.

Comprehensive: Since comprehensive coverage pays for damage due to causes other than collision — including fire, theft, and/or vandalism and malicious mischief — you’ll know your vehicle, that is the backbone to your operation, will be protected. And if you live in an area where you experience severe weather — including wind, hail and flooding — it’s a good idea to carry this type of coverage.

Collision: Liability insurance covers damage to others’ property, but what about your damage to your vehicle? Collision coverage pays for damage to your farm vehicle or trailer caused by an accidental collision or overturning.

Uninsured and Underinsured: This coverage protects you and your passengers from bodily injury caused by other drivers without adequate auto insurance.

4 Reasons to Invest in Uninsured Motorist Coverage

Here to Help!

Because accidents can’t be predicted, you’ll want to be sure you have proper coverage. Schedule a SuperCheck® with your Farm Bureau insurance agent to be sure you have the protection you need.