Whether you just moved or you’ve been in your home for many years, your belongings can accumulate quickly. It can be difficult to keep track of every item and its cost. If the unexpected happened tomorrow and you had to replace everything in your home, would you be able to come up with a complete home inventory list, and even photos or receipts? While creating a home inventory can sound like a daunting and tedious process, completing one now may save you headaches (and money) in the future. Not to worry, we have tips and resources to help you make the process as smooth and as painless as possible.
Consider these tips before you complete your home inventory.
And when you’re ready, fill out our home inventory form to get started.
If your phone is already your number-one sidekick, you may prefer to use an app to help you keep track of your possessions. Good news! There are many available to download. Luckily, there are apps to help make the process simple. With a few clicks, you may be well on your way to tracking your belongings with ease and confidence.
But not so fast. The tricky part is finding one that bests fits your needs. Start by asking yourself a few simple questions:
- Do you want to be able to add videos/photos?
- Do you want to be able to scan bar codes and include serial numbers?
- Do you want to be able alphabetize your belongings or categorize them by room?
- Do you want to be able to search for an item later?
The list can go on and on, but we promise it’s not as intimidating as it may sound. To help, we’ve compiled a list of four of the best home inventory apps to consider.
4 Home Inventory Apps
Sortly – iOS, Android
- Categorize items by room, type, etc.
- Track items by using QR or barcodes
- Include prices, conditions, etc.
- Convert old lists into electronic versions
- Add photos
- Take up to 10 photos
- Scan barcodes and automatically retrieve product information
- Edit items in bulk with the batch edit feature
- Set reminders when items are borrowed
- Document all details of each item
- Keep track of what you have
- Add items manually or by scanning the barcode
- Add items by scanning QR codes
- Include details — barcode, name, description, etc.
- Search for items
Steps You’ll Be Thankful for Later
Creating a home inventory for insurance purposes not only helps make the process of replacing items easier, it can also help you determine how much homeowners, renters or personal property coverage you need to have in place. It’s important to remember to keep your inventory up to date. Your home inventory isn’t something to complete and then forget. Whether you use a paper record, spreadsheet or app, be sure to set reminders on your calendar to regularly update your inventory — especially after making big purchases.
Here For You
Your possessions are more than just things. They represent the hard work you put in to purchasing them. A local Farm Bureau agent can help ensure you have the right coverage and amount to protect them.
Connect with an agent today!